Late spring, summer, and early fall are usually the months when fleas and ticks are at their worst. Some areas have nice climates year round, these areas have year round fleas as well. Your dog may be an inside dog; that does not mean that he is immune. Just taking your dog out to use the bathroom can start a flea infestation. A variety of other animals (stray cats and dogs, squirrels, etc) comb neighborhoods, these can very easily drop unwanted visitors at your door, literally.
There are products on the market to help control the pests that get on your animal as well as those that get in your yard, your vet can recommend the best products for you to use for your dog’s safety.
You also need to do some other ‘home maintenance’ things. Some of these include:
1. Anything your pet spends much time on should be cleaned as best it can. For instance, if he uses his own bed, wash it in hot water and dry on high heat. If he spends time on the couch, vacuum it regularly (your vet may recommend a mild pesticide be use on the couch (and other places your dog uses a lot), depending on infestation and severity.
2. Vacuum your entire house, washing any throw rugs. Often flea eggs are dropped from the pet into the carpet through shedding. Just because they are no longer on your dog doesn’t mean that they are not viable. These eggs will hatch and grow just as they would if they were on your dog.
3. Brush your dog frequently. Combs designed for lice removal in humans make excellent combs for flea and flea egg removal in short-haired dogs. Longer hair is more difficult unless you have a very passive dog that will allow you to comb down to the skin with the tiny combs but are better done with flea combs designed for dogs. Bathing should be done at least bi-weekly and a good conditioner (oatmeal-based is great) should be applied to help sooth your dog’s skin.
4. Keep your lawn mowed, believe it or not, this helps with flea infestation.
I Can’t Get My Dog’s Liquid Medicine Down
Face it; there are times that we have to medicate our dogs. Usually it’s just not much fun; flailing legs, squirming bodies, and twisting heads are not a joyful experience for either one of you. These tips should help you accomplish this feat. Remember to follow all medication instructions and dosage requirements.
1. Have a treat ready if the medication doesn’t have to be taken on an empty stomach.
2. Measure the medicine into the dropper.
3. Sooth your dog through calm movements and soft words.
4. Wrap one arm around the dog’s neck, between your thumb and first finger, take hold of the lower jaw.
5. Tilt the nose up, but not straight up.
6. Insert the dropper’s tip toward the back of the cheek without opening the mouth.
7. Slowly squeeze the dropper’s ‘bubble’ letting a constant, slow flow of the medication into your dog’s mouth. He will swallow instinctively.
Extra tips, in case your dog is a bit harder to control:
1. Flailing dogs can be wrapped in towels (or blankets for larger dogs).
2. Give high praise and a treat when the process is over (as long as the medication does not need to be taken on an empty stomach).
3. Keep the dog’s body in front of you.
4. There are new ways to flavor pet medications. Certain pharmacists and veterinarians can perform this service for little cost.
Using these instructions and tips, you should be able to successfully give your dog the medication he needs in a less traumatic experience for both of you. High praise for anything good always reinforces good behavior, so every successful attempt should be treated as an exceptional feat for him. He will continue to improve, eventually making the process quite simple.
I live in Australia and am currently using Sentinal, which is a 3-in-1 pill for parasite protection against heartworm, intestinal worms – including tapeworm and fleas. I’ve used Drontal before but this doesn’t cover everything, you still need to buy a flea treatment. It is incredibly expensive but I buy it because it has a great reputation. What do you use? Is it worth continuing with the Sentinal or are there cheaper brands out there that do the trick? Thank you 🙂
I use Frontline for the fleas with both my Labs, and never had a flea problem. It is expensive compared to some, but at least it works, I have in the past spent a fortune on lots of different over the counter flea treatments, only to discover that they don’t work, and my poor dog was still scratching and nibbling, so for the past few years I have used Frontline and never seen another flea.
I did use Drontal wormers every 3 months, but found my chocolate Lab had got worms before she was due to be wormed again, so the vet changed her to Milbemax wormers and she has not had worms since, plus they are a bit cheaper.
Many individuals consider their pets a necessary a part of their lives. Cats and canine alike are part of the family, with their pleasant, loyal personalities and comforting companionship. Identical to household, we don’t need them to suffer. Unfortunately, thousands and thousands of cats and canines endure yearly from painful and potentially life threatening flea and tick infestations. Some circumstances are so bad that the animal is consistently itching and biting himself, inflicting much more harm. What’s worse is that the fleas and ticks could also be simply transmitted to folks and their homes. In this state of affairs, the proprietor might find yourself paying hundred of dollars to fumigate their home. All this discomfort may very well be avoided with a simple go to to the pet retailer – getting flea collars for his or her pets.
Flea collars are one of many many wonders of current science. Produced from plastic resins and pesticides, a flea collar is straightforward to make use of and may final either three, six, or twelve months! Best of all, it is non-toxic to your loved one pet.
When buying a flea collar to your pet, there are two issues to contemplate – does the animal have already got fleas, and do you will have younger youngsters? If the first is true, you will want to current your cat or dog a preliminary bathtub in flea and tick killing shampoo. In another case, the flea collars could be ineffective.
If the latter is true, it’s a must to to maintain the animal away out of your child. Children are much more sensitive to chemicals than adults, and should by chance ingest the powder that coats the collar.
Flea collars work by attacking the reason for fleas – larvae. When fleas infest an animal or its bedding, they lay their eggs. Attributable to this, an animal could also be infested with as many as 1,000,000 fleas inside a year. Flea collars nip this drawback within the bud.
A mistake that many householders make is that they may put flea collars designed for dogs on cats, and vice versa. This might certainly not be carried out, as a result of the doses of flea killing drugs are different. Collars designed for canines might kill a cat, and cat collars are ineffective on a dog.
Utilizing a flea collar is form of simple. With its versatile and durable construction, you needn’t fear about cracking or breakage. If you take away the collar from its box, you’ll discover that the collar is normally much too prolonged in your pet. This is to ensure that the match is completely tailor-made to your pet. When placing the collar on your canine or cat, ensure you can simply slip one finger between the animals neck and the collar. As quickly as buckled, use a pair of scissors to chop off any extra measurement of collar. Now you are able to have the benefit of bonding time along with your furry pal, comfortably and safely.
You can read about our new website about outboard motors for sale here.