Flea Treatment

Baby Teacup Chihuahua sick – retching, listless, sleepy after shots and flea treatment

This is my 9 week old female Chihuahua. She is only 1 pound and 2 oz. I bought her one week ago. I took her to the vet on 05/20 and she was diagnosed as having parasites and worms. The vet gave her a LOT of medicines and treatments. Here is the rundown of all the different meds.

The vet gave her a shot of Pyrantel Pamoate for pinworms. The invoice says “Qty 2 – Pyrantel Pamoate (Strongid).

He also gave her a partially used bottle of Albon 5% oral medication for parasites, which I was to continue giving to her until it ran out. She has taken the medicine for 5 days now. I’ve read online that 5 days is the normal length of treatment so I am not giving her any more of it. I read online that you are supposed to shake the Albon very well before using it. The vet did not tell me that. He also didn’t bother to tell me about any side effects that could occur, although there are several.

He also gave me a small tube of Advantage Dog flea treatment (ointment) that I was instructed to rub between her shoulder blades. The tube says that it is for dogs under 10 lbs. I asked him if I should use the whole tube considering she is only 1 lb. He said yes. Looking back, I see that I should have used my own common sense and intuition. Obviously you don’t need the same amount of medicine for a 1 lb puppy as you would need for a puppy 10 times her size. I’m angry that they would hurt her this way and not care.

I applied the flea treatment (poison) on 05/23. After I put the medicine on her, it left a nasty glob of greasiness on her coat, so I looked online to see how long I had to leave it before I could take it off. (Of course, I called the vet to ask them but they didn’t answer and did not return my call, even though they were still open.) What I found online shocked me. Flea treatments are PESTICIDES and can be very harmful to dogs. If you apply a pesticide to your lawn (which I would urge you not to do) the bottle clearly tells you NOT to allow your pets or children to walk on the lawn for a certain length of time because the POISON can harm or kill them. So why then would a vet advise you to put a similar poison directly on your puppy’s coat? Maybe because he only cares about money and not you or your puppy. It’s a possibility.

If he cared about my tiny, adorable, 1 lb puppy, I doubt he would fill her with as many poisons as he could in such a short amount of time. (By the way, vaccinations for children are not any safer. Please research vaccinations+autism before vaccinating your child.)

I really don’t think he cares at all about my puppy. She is only 1 pound and it doesn’t seem like he is taking that into account when prescribing meds to her.

The same day (Friday) that I put the flea treatment on her, she ate some grass outside. That evening is when she started retching and she has continued doing this all weekend. It is now Monday and she has been sleeping a lot and is still retching some, although thankfully not nearly as much.

While reading the warnings about flea treatments, I also found many people who warned that you must be careful with choosing a veternarian because many of them are only interested in making money and they would rather fill your pet full of unneeded poisons and make a quick buck than to do what is best for your pet. I already knew that that was the case with human doctors, which I why I never go to them anymore, but I never suspected that the people that we trust to care for our pets might be the same way. The medical industry is such a sad, sorry place.

If you have any advice for me or you have seen this retching symptom before and know what I should do about it, please reply. I am wary of going back to the vet since I believe that may be what caused the sickness in the first place. I used to have dogs when I was a kid and we never took them to the vet and they did not get sick. I’m really starting to think that the vet CAUSES sickness instead of preventing it.

Update: Little Nibbles healed up from her sickness. I ended up finding a new home for her, but I want to leave this video up in case anyone else has a similar problem with their puppy. I believe her illness was caused by the medications she was given. Please do your own research into each medicine that your vet prescribes. Do what you feel is right. Do not blindly follow the orders of someone who may not have your pet’s best interest at heart.

Duration : 0:0:45

Read more…


Flea and Tick Treatment

A recent report shows many pets have experienced problems with spot-on flea and tick treatment sold in pet stores and veterinary clinics across the country. Watch the video and find out about the importance of using these products safely. For information call the Pest Management Information Service Line, 1-800-267-6315.
Visit http://www.healthcanada.gc.ca for more information.

Duration : 0:3:2

Read more…


Q&A: Can liquid flea treatment “burn” a cats ears?

Question by Matt: Can liquid flea treatment “burn” a cats ears?
I used some over the counter flea treatment on my 1 yr old cat a few weeks ago. It’s the liquid kind that goes between their shoulder blades. I noticed that at the base of each ear now, that there are bright red, bleeding sores. The woman at Petsmart and a vet office said that the over the counter stuff is too strong for cats and can cause “burns” on their ears. Has anyone else heard about this or experienced this before? For those that have heard about it, what should I use to prevent the “burns”?

Best answer:

Answer by curious
I have an aunt who used to work in a vet office, she said she seen a lot of animals come in who had the over the counter flea stuff on them that caused problems. It’s just too harsh on some animals or the owners aren’t buying the right kind for their animals size, etc. You shouldn’t of put it so close to the ears. See what kind your vet suggest & how often you should apply it to your cat.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!


Next Page »